There’s no place like another for sheer diversity in food than in KL. A visit to some of the best restaurants in KL will surely convince you that most cuisines here are a melting pot of diverse cultural influences.
To be more inclusive, all these renowned restaurants have kept intact the diverse cultural food influence while making changes so that they are halal.
Do you know the feeling of satisfaction when your friends and families acknowledge your good restaurant recommendation? Yes, that’s how I felt with these 10 Best Halal Restaurants in KL.
They are my favourites for an ideal halal banquet that serves exceptional dishes and keeps you coming for more.
So tag along with your Malay friend or family who prefers pork-free and alcohol-free restaurants to your next halal food expedition!
1. Congkak @ Bukit Bintang – Best Traditional Halal Restaurant in KL
What We Like
- Nasi Tumpeng Ayam Percik – The cone-shaped moulded Nasi Kunyit is fragrant and flavoursome with side dishes of saporous Ayam Percik and sambal berlado. It isn’t complete without a few pieces of crunchy keropok.
- Ikan Wayang – Crispy on the outside and soft on the inside. The fish is so fresh, giving you profound satisfaction when you shred it and dip it in the spicy and astringent sambal kicap served with rice.
- Nasi Ambeng – You will need help to finish this delectable plate served on a wooden carved platter for the 9 side dishes like salted egg, ikan berlado and more to have with rice.
- Soda Bandung – Cool off your stomach after feasting these spicy platters with the refreshing and nectarous Soda Bandung. The rose syrup is blended with ice cream soda and topped with fresh selasih seeds to aid in cooling your body.
If you know the traditional Malay-Indon game, Congkak, you came from a “no-phone” generation.
This restaurant was named after the game and has a stunning interior with vintage vibes and gleaming lighting from its chandeliers. The blue-painted walls give you a typical Indonesian home with rattan chairs and tables.
They are well known for serving large portions to share among 3-10 pax, so be sure to bring your family!
Monday – Thursday (12:00 PM – 10:00 PM)
Friday & Saturday (12:00 PM – 11:00 PM)
Sunday (12:00 PM – 10:00 PM)
2. Subak Restaurant – Best Halal Restaurant in KL For Fine Dining Experience
What We Like
- Ibu Yati Gado-Gado Salad – You will order another plate of this savoury appetiser which is basically crispy popiah served with peanut sauce. The sweet and spicy taste in the nutty sauce levels up the flavours of the popiah, giving you a satisfying crunch.
- Lamb Shank – This is one of my favourites, as it gets me drooling from the aroma. The moisture of the tender meat melts in your mouth with the taste of tomato and herbs gravy, making it a gastronomical platter.
- Asam Pedas Ikan Pari – Nothing goes best with this than a bowl of rice. The fresh fish is simmered in the spicy and sour gravy where basic ingredients of lemongrass, Kaffir leaves are added for the fragrant aroma whilst giving the right kick!
- Daging Batang Pinang Salai – This succulent beef tenderloin is cooked with thick and creamy coconut milk that intensifies the robust meat taste. This is served with aromatic rice, stir-fried vegetables, and chilli condiments for a delightful meal.
Located in Bukit Lanjan, Subak restaurant is the right place for a perfect fine dining Indonesian cuisine with your loved ones. This place is surrounded by nature with the sounds of flowing water and rustling leaves to enrich your dining moment.
What’s more than to enjoy these tempting dishes with wooden and lush roses decorated on the table?
Subak specialises mostly in Indonesian cuisine while incorporating a fusion of Western platters with imported meat to provide the best halal restaurant for those who want fine dining here in KL!
Weekdays & Weekends (5:45 PM – 11:00 PM)
3. Calia – Best Halal Japanese Restaurant in KL
What We Like
- Aburi Salmon – The smokey flavour of the salmon is a culinary excellence. I take great joy in admiring the dish’s presentation with the salmon strips arranged in rose petals on top of the rice to enjoy.
- Calia Bear Garden Shabu Shabu – The most ordered dish on the menu is this clear base mushroom soup with a cute teddy bear. The generous amount of vegetables just elevates the umami taste of the soup, and don’t forget to get more meat for this steamboat!
- Calia Wagyu Bowl – This is my personal favourite. The Australian Wagyu beef has a piquant sweet and spicy flavour all the more to enjoy with a runny egg yolk and rice for a perfect taste combination.
- Soft Shell Crab Salad – This salad will blow your mind with the portion and satisfying aftertaste of crab meat and gomma dressing, which is Japanese salad seasoning. There is a heap of salad with crunchy fried baby crabs. It is not only divine but also the most aesthetic salad bowl!
This Michelin Star Austrailian-inspired restaurant has won the hearts of many Malaysians for the mouthwatering Japanese dishes here. From delightful food to friendly waiters, Calia is now trending as the best halal Japanese restaurant in KL for their fast-paced services.
The interior best describes the combination of a simple yet magnificent vibe. With a beige background and radiant lights, you can’t go wrong for the best shot of your meals here!
Weekdays & Weekends (11:00 AM – 10:00 PM)
4. Cheong Dam Jaya – Best Halal Korean Restaurant in KL
What We Like
- Spicy Tofu Soup – This spicy, savoury soup is served with generous Enoki mushrooms and soft tofu, usually enjoyed with rice, a compulsory order for a more Korean dining culture!
- Steamed Egg – A popular pick for the custard-like consistency that signifies a perfectly steamed egg. The beaten eggs are steamed with meat broth and garnished with fresh spring onions to enhance the flavours making it a heavenly first bite.
- Real Berry Croffle – This ambrosial dessert is the ideal soothing remedy after scrumptious flaming cuisine. The croffle is topped with ice cream, marshmallows and strawberries, fitting for your sweet cravings.
- Unlimited BBQ Set Promotion – Register as a member on their website and get unlimited meat from duck, beef, chicken and lamb with different marination styles for an endless gastronomic adventure here!
The essence of Korean dishes and the best halal Korean restaurant in KL can be found in this hidden gem located at IOI City Mall Putrajaya, Cheong Dam Jaya also known as K-Jaya.
Affordability is what we speak for a hearty meal and dining experience, and Cheong Dam Jaya is just the right place for authentic flavourful Korean meat and side dishes served here.
Weekdays & Weekends (10:00 AM – 10:00 PM)
5. Hot Pot King Steamboat & Grill – Best Halal BBQ Restaurant in KL
What We Like
- Signature Marinated Lamb – The meat is coated with a variety of sauces that maximise sweet and spicy flavours. Grilling this with butter is just another level of perfection that enhances the succulent lamb meat.
- Tom Yum Soup – This saporous soup is not your typical Tom Yum base for a steamboat. The generous amount of fragrant spices in this soup is simply sensational to warm your soul, especially when you have them with their seafood! Don’t forget to break an egg in it.
- Teriyaki Beef – This Japanese seasoning has been tweaked with local flavours making it halal for consumption. The smokey sauces mixed with soy sauce are ideal for enjoying this robust meat.
Upgrade those family activities from picnics to exciting BBQ nights where you can compete among your families to see who is the better cook at BBQ.
I have done it, but my mom is undefeatable.
Hot Pot King Steamboat & Grill is not just worth your penny but the best halal restaurant in KL today.
The succulent meat is marinated with local flavours and seasonings to suit your taste buds. Paying RM 30 per pax is a great deal for your unlimited serving portions.
You might get oil sprinkled on your clothes, so white is not the best option to feast here.
(You can read more about the best steaks in KL for more options. However, not all of them are halal.)
Weekdays & Weekends (1:30 PM – 11.30 PM)
6. Kay’s Steak & Lobster – Best Halal Restaurant in KL with Western Cuisines
What We Like
- Flinders Natural Tenderloin – This full-bodied steak dish is very attractive. The thickness of the meat is served with the best creamy mashed potatoes, salad and their special peppery Au Poivre sauce that adds a spicy kick to this succulent meat.
- Aglio Olio – The best Aglio Oglio that is full of flavour after slurping your pasta, is found here. The extra virgin oil in this dish is the secret to the luscious taste that compliments the chilli flakes and fresh parsley.
- Salted Egg Soft Shell Crab – The Asian ingredients cooked for this pasta give this dish the piquant of diverse flavours. The creamy salted egg sauce is cooked with fresh curry leaves and served with 2 whole soft-shell crabs that are crunchy enough to offer a phenomenal taste at your first bite!
- Lobster Garlic Butter – The simplest ingredients of garlic and butter empower the entire taste of lobster. You only need to squeeze the lemon on the lobster for a zesty flavour and scoop your spoon to enjoy this magnificent delight.
This halal-certified restaurant will give you a splendid culinary experience with a unique combination of steak and seafood platters. Kay’s Steak & Lobster has always been my best choice for the perfect fine dining and affordable pricing, especially with the generous portions for one serving.
Located in Putra Heights, this best halal restaurant in KL sets the right mood and ambience with ample seating.
Monday – Wednesday (Closed)
Thursday (11:00 AM – 11:00 PM)
Friday (4:00 PM – 11:00 PM)
Weekends (11:00 AM – 11:00 PM)
7. Abah Seafood & Grill – Best Halal Seafood Restaurant in KL
What We Like
- Chilli Alaskan Crab – The chilli and thick gravy highlight this immaculate seafood platter. You have to enjoy it with their signature fried Mantou buns. The gravy is simmered with a controlled spiciness and sweet seasonings and poured on the lobster to serve.
- Buttermilk Boston Lobster – The savoury taste of rich buttermilk smothered on this massive-looking lobster signifies this place is the best halal restaurant in KL. Their perfectly cooked lobster has soft flesh, and the taste augments for the lemon pieces garnished on top.
- Claypot Salmon Head Curry – One of the best and most unique dishes for local cuisine. The spicy and briny taste of the curry cooked in a clay pot is exceptional. I must say the use of salmon in a curry is something you never have before in a local dish.
Abah Seafood & Grill takes unwavering pride in local tastebuds. It’s wonderful how they creatively diversify their dishes with a fusion of Western and Asian ingredients.
They have over 20 types of fresh seafood for the best taste in their dishes, not forgetting their tender steaks in large portions. It is the best deal for a meal with your family.
Besides operating like every other restaurant, they have VIP rooms for special occasions like birthdays and a Surau.
Be sure to check this place out for moments full of memories and tasty flavours next for a family outing!
Monday – Friday (11:30 AM – 2:30 PM)
Weekends (12:00 PM – 9:30 PM)
8. Al-Rawsha @ Kampung Pandan – Best Halal Arabian Restaurant in KL
What We Like
- Lamb Mandy – This traditional Hadramouth dish is one of their specialities. The fork-tender lamb meat is flavoured and more enticing with their spicy seasoned rice. The generous portion will be served with a dipping sauce with a zesty taste balancing the tastes of this dish.
- Beef Shawarma – Another top pick for me is this juicy and generous amount of beef in one piece of shawarma made with simple ingredients of spice and tangy flavours wrapped around the pita bread.
- Fahsa Lamb – The fried lamb is half cooked before simmering into this pot of heavenly and saporous gravy of Jewish spices. This aromatic dish garnished with fresh corianders is ideally served with a simple piece of bread.
- Kenafah Beljunah – You shouldn’t leave without trying the most traditional dessert: pulled cheese topped with sugar, ghee and pistachio crumbs. Chewing the rich cheese and buttery pistachios feels amazing, tempting you to order more!
This restaurant’s dazzling lights and Ottoman architecture have the right Arabic atmosphere.
This place’s serving size is huge, so you need more than 3 pax to enjoy these Middle Eastern delicacies for your next night out.
Trust me, I have once gotten so bloated because I went there by myself. Turns out it’s more fun when you have friends or families around to dine at this restaurant
Monday – Thursday (10:00 AM – 1:00 AM)
Friday & Saturday (10:00 AM – 2:00 PM)
Sunday (10:00 PM – 1:00 AM)
9. Dotty’s Pastries & Coffee – Best Halal Café in KL
What We Like
- Salted Egg Croissant Doughnut – The salted egg is not essentially salty, rather amplifying the sweetness of the filling. Eat it immediately when it’s warm for the satisfying flow of sublime creamy filling.
- Peach Struddle – The amount of peach slices in the middle of this pastry which tastes dreamy. This strudel comes with layered whipped cream and hot crumbly pastry garnished with icing sugar for a splendid final touch.
- Kids promotion – Enjoy this incredible deal when you bring your kids on the weekends. Dotty offers one free kids’ meal with every meal purchased. Let the lil’ ones taste the toothsome pastries on your next family weekend brunch!
Dotty’s Pastries is a Muslim-owned cafe with the lavish interior of European cafes of soft blue and checkered floorings.
They never fail their customers with their freshly baked pastries, which are covered in air-tight containers to maintain the temperature and keep the fillings’ slurry texture.
Check out this place for a weekend tea party with friends!
Weekdays & Weekends (8:00 AM –10:00 PM)
10. Hijau KL @ DC Mall – Best Halal Vegan Restaurant in KL
What We Like
- Vegan Fish Otah-Otah – The plant-based local fish is pureed and wrapped in banana leaves, replicating your favourite Malaysia finger food, Otak-Otak. Grilling on charcoal is the same as cooking this spicy-flavoured fish, so enjoy it with seaweed sheets for an extraordinary flavour.
- Laksam – The best vegan Asam Laksa in KL here has the taste of plummy broth with lots of chilli. Its soup is astringent, enticing you with every slurpy noise when you drink it.
- Scrambled Tofu – This is an ultimate delight for every customer here. I love the scrambled tofu with the half-cooked texture of breakfast scrambled eggs. It tastes the same and even better with tomato cherries for a splendid combination!
Hijau KL, located at Damansara City Mall, is a haven for avid vegan foodies. The gastronomical pleasure you can get here is endless; indeed, it is the best halal restaurant in KL for vegans.
The delicious imitation of taste like non-vegan meals proves their expertise in their seasonings and cooking to provide an exquisite halal dining experience for a healthier option.
Even if you want to test your vegan taste buds with flavourful halal food, visit this restaurant.
Weekdays & Weekends (10:00 AM – 10:00 PM)
Inevitably, the best halal restaurants in KL are usually packed during peak hours, but good food is worth the wait.
For an affordable and fulfilling culinary adventure, Abah Seafood & Grill and Hot Pot King Steamboat are your ideal options with your family. The fun activity of BBQ-ing with your family at these places won’t make you fret about holes in your wallet.
However, if you want to relive those binging drama moments with your bunch of friends (just like me and my girlies), head over to K-Jaya and Calia Restaurant for their dishes’ exceptional taste and authenticity. The great vibe and ambience ensure your best moments of feasting with your friends!